January 30, 2012

my so-called life



This dress is pretty 90s, and I just love it. All I need is a flannel shirt and some Doc Martens to turn into Angela Chase. My grandma is constantly bringing me clothes to look through because she knows I love to turn something weird into something great. This dress came from one of those loads.


necklace/Anthropologie, dress/thrifted, leggings/Forever21, booties/Modcloth 


All the alterations I had to do on the dress were to make it look less dated. The dress had shoulder pads, and when I took them out, it left awkward puffy shoulders for me to deal with. The length of the dress was to my mid-calf. The waist of the dress had a little panel with four buttons on it, which was odd and unflattering. I took in the shoulders, cut off about 10 inches off the bottom hem, and removed the weird buttons. Now it's a cute short 90s dress with a modern look, and gets tons of compliments! :)


Thrifting tip: Check labels for fabric information! Natural fibers like cotton and linen are the easiest to clean and remove odors. Synthetic fabrics are a bit trickier. They tend to hold in odors, so that lovely musty smell of the consignment shop will be much harder to remove from something made out of a synthetic fabric. If something smells strongly of body odor or smoke...just give it up. Not gonna happen. Often, vintage labels will tell you something is dry-clean only...meh. Unless it's a really nice or fancy fabric, I will usually just wash it cold on gentle or hand-wash. I'm known to shrug my shoulders at fabric care instructions and just make an educated guess. So far, I haven't had any mishaps. :) 


Happy thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment