February 18, 2012

staples



blouse/thrifted, skirt/thrifted

Hmm. My feet got cut off...Here are my fun shoes:

shoes/thrifted, originally from Target



Guys, my hair is wonky. It's looking a little ombre, but not in the cool, trendy way, in the weird, I'm-too-lazy-to-color-my-hair-in-a-timely-manner way. Maybe I should try to do something about that...

For my makeup, I didn't want to go too dramatic, so since I wanted a bright lip color, I went really soft with the eye makeup...just cream and pink eyeshadow, very light brown eyeliner, and a bit of mascara.  


Love the print in the blouse! From far away it looks like little tiny hearts, but when you get up close, it's actually a fun geometric print.


The blouse was originally a dress. It was cute, but didn't fit exactly right through the hips...those lovely hereditary child-bearing hips of mine. Sorry future daughter, you'll get them too! :) I just loved the dress so much, I decided I would cut it off and wear it as a shirt. It's a bit schoolmarm, a bit Little House on the Prairie, a bit frivolous with all it's ruffles, but I decided that I could pull it off. (I don't actually know if that's true, I often just decide I can pull something off and wear it no matter what...some people say it's confidence, I think I'm probably just stubborn*..) I have had that skirt for years. It's great to have pieces in your wardrobe which have versatility that you can wear from season to season, year to year.


Thrifting tip: Always keep an eye out for pieces that can become staples in your wardrobe. Of course leave room for the 'fun' things in your closet, but make sure you have plenty of pieces with versatility and sustainability. This means looking for good quality clothing that is well-constructed. Things that are made well will hold up after years of wear and washing. A few things in my closet that have become staples for me are my men's chambray shirt (I seriously wear it ALL the time..it's my go-to shirt when I want to look stylish and be super comfortable without having to put a lot of thought into it.), my great-grandpa's brown fedora, skinny jeans, black leggings, black pencil skirt, the flouncy black skirt you see above, cardigans of all colors, scarves, boots, and ballet flats. I also wear tights year-round. As you can see, not everyone's wardrobe staples will be the same, so don't go out hunting for a chambray shirt if you're not a fan! That's why it's important to discover your own personal style so, as you shop, you don't waste money on something you will only wear a few times. Closet staples are an essential part of building up a fantastic wardrobe, so keep your eyes peeled and have fun!

Happy thrifting!


*I like what I like and I'm gonna wear it no matter what you say! So there! cue me sticking out my tongue in a sassy (bratty?) fashion...

1 comment: